February 4, 1974: The Symbionese Liberation Army, a group of eight, acts on a plan they’ve had for months: to kidnap a well-known figure as a way to bring attention to their cause and raise money that will provide free food for the needy.
In the course of writing my current work-in-progress, a biography of Camilla Hall, I have found that few people can name any member of the SLA beyond Hearst. Hearst dominates any conversation about the SLA, which does a disservice to anyone who wants to study the complexities of that particular time and place.
The eight members during the Hearst kidnapping:
- Donald DeFreeze, aka Cinque. Died in a shootout with Los Angeles police on May 17, 1974.
- Bill Harris. Sentenced to seven years in prison in 2002.
- Emily Harris. Sentenced to eight years in prison in 2002.
- Patricia “Mizmoon” Soltysik. Died in the shootout on May 17, 1974.
- Willie Wolfe. Died in the shootout on May 17, 1974.
- Nancy Ling Perry. Died in the shootout on May 17, 1974.
- Angela Atwood. Died in the shootout on May 17, 1974.
- Camilla Hall. Died in the shootout on May 17, 1974.
Hmmmm interesting… I remember this as a kid growing up!
Are you watching the documentary? I guess it’s airing in the U.K. for the first time, on PBS America.
Ooooh I will see if I can find it in Catchup or Netflix!!! Thanks!